Sunday, October 4, 2009

Confessions of a Craftaholic

I feel I must be on the brink of insanity, or I have a terrible case of cabin fever. 6 weeks off of work may sound like a good idea in theory, and if it was for a different reason it probably would have been. However being off of work because you hurt your wrist makes it a little less enjoyable. Having a cast on your arm that immobilizes your thumb makes you sympathize with the animals in your life.

This has been my life since the 24th of August. I have succeeded in driving my friends atleast slightly insane with my almost constant desire to be anywhere but my house. I love my family and we do have an extremely comfy couch and a nice sized TV here, but I can not stand being stuck at home. I was stupidly ready to drug up on painkillers and head back to work on the 25th. Foolish since I couldn't really lift any weight at all with my left hand and had a doctors order to back it up. I'm terribly and stupidly stubborn when it comes to this subject. I may know that I am only a mere weak mortal but I get these sudden flashes that I may be able to accomplish things despite current or previous injuries.

Now you may wonder what all this has to do with crafting. Prior to my injury I would come home from work @ 10:30, gotta love 2nd shift, and work on a current project (quilting, knitting, crocheting, ect) for a couple of hours before bed. Since my injury I have set up a table in my living room, to the surprising approval of my mother, and have been at it almost constantly. I have finished a pretty and rather big quilt. I am half way through two other and I just finished the set up for a third. I would talk about my knitting and crocheting endeavors but they were severly limited by the lack of a thumb.



My "Cast Quilt" as it's become known was actually a design I've done before but I altered it and made it my own. The problem it turned out to be a little on the huge side.



The reason I'm questioning my sanity though is due to my newest project. It is by far the hardest and most time consuming endeavor I have ever attempted. I have spent atleast 15 hours on it so far and have barely scratched the surface on what needs to be done. Most of those 15 hours were spent bending over a table. Now for those of you whose minds just went dirty dirty places, yes I mean you Lizz, I would like to state that if it had been for those reasons not only would I not be posting it on here I would be complaining about it a lot less. Those 15 hours were spent tracing a pattern and then cutting it out. The results of the time and pain are, I must say, very promising.




The end result is a stained glass effect. My next step is to start cutting out the black areas one by one and replacing them with various fabrics to. It will I imagine take me the next few months if not years. That is assuming it doesn't cause me to end up in a lovely padded room before then.

Off to the wonderful realm of dream land I go.

Jes

2 comments:

  1. Darling you know have your very own Oscar!! Check out A Dear Friend! Copy and paste the picture to your profile!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete